Planning to start packing your bags for a new trip? But wait before you plan ahead. Your little ball of love also needs to have a passport as you for international travel. In the United States, a pet passport is a set of documents that you (as a pet owner) need to carry when you’re moving your pet from one place to another. The additional requirements differ from country to country but the minimum set of documents required for your pet stays the same. Your veterinarian will smoothly help in arranging all the required paperwork for the country you’re planning to travel to.

Pet Passport

What is a Pet Passport?

It’s not as tedious as it sounds. You wouldn’t have to wait for weeks to get this passport work done for your pet. The process is very simple and it can be easily done in a matter of some days. The main purpose of the passport is to demonstrate the health of your pet. It acts as proof that shows how healthy your pet is for international travel. The officials check that the required vaccinations and treatments have been given to your pet as required. 

Getting the required documents done is mandatory because, in absence of it, your pet could be subject to lonely days of quarantine, alone, in a foreign land. To keep your fluff of love near you, read the following sections to understand the requirements for a Pet Passport. 

How To Get a Pet Passport in the US? 

Before getting the basic documents ready, it is advised for every traveler to check the airline guidelines for pet travels. Every airline has specific regulations for pets. While some require your pet’s health certification to be no more than 10 days from your departure date, others provide a lesser time margin for the certification. At least 6 months before your travel date, check the import requirements for pets in your destination country. Some countries have specific conditions that ask you to fulfill a waiting period and get a blood titer test done, to check the antigen level in your pet’s body for rabies.

Pet Passport

Step 1: Research Airlines and Destination Regulations

Visit the USD website to check the official requirements for carrying your pet to a specific country. Note down the requirements and call the country’s embassy or consulate in Washington, DC to verify the points. There are embassy websites of some countries that portray all the required guidelines on their official website, you can also check if your destination country provides that information. To ensure that you don’t miss anything, call anyway. 

Step 2: Contact Your Vet

Once you have received the required information about your airline and destination country regulations, contact your vet. Set up an appointment to discuss the required documents. Your vet must be federally accredited. If not, you might have to ask for a referral. This is because many countries don’t permit the certifications validated by other veterinarians. 

Here are some basic required procedures: 

· Tattooing of Micro chipping to ensure your pet’s safety if he’s lost.

· Vaccination for rabies and the plus time required after that. After the plus time, you will have to again opt for a blood test to show the vaccine’s effectiveness.

· Tick, flea, and parasite removal procedures.

Pet Certificate

Step 3: Receive Certification

After going through the rigorous health procedures, your veterinarian will issue a health certificate that testifies for the health of your pet. Some airlines and countries require your pet’s health certificate to be endorsed by the USDA. For getting this done, send your certificate to them via courier or contact your local USDA certified veterinarian for assistance. 

Additional Documents for EU Countries

Different countries have laid out specific rules for people traveling from the United States. You would have to inquire about the particular rules from the official authorities for the pet documents. For instance, if you’re planning to travel to any country in the European Union, the regulations stay the same.

Pet Passport

Depending on the country in the EU, you are required to submit an Annex IV form. Along with this, talk to your vet to furnish a USDA endorsed APHIS Health Certification for your pet. There are many instances of illegal pet transportation. To avoid this, the EU demands the passengers to provide a ‘Declaration of Non-Commercial Transport’ that reads that your pet isn’t being given away or sold. Include your pet’s shot record with this Declaration. Apart from this, some EU countries also need proof of tapeworm testing or other treatments.